Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Bad Company 2 Updates

There are two updates coming for Bad Company 2. Here are the details via the Battlefield Blog:
I got a Dr. Pepper code at Taco Bell today, but when I entered it in the site, my options were for Mass Effect 2, The Sims 3, Spore, and Battlefield Heroes. The post clearly says it should be available today. I'll see if I can get the DLC through the in-game Store. I'll update this post when I find out more. [Update] I checked the store. It used to have the Dr. Pepper promotions listed under "Coming Soon", now they're just gone. I tried just entering a code, but it didn't work. I did have to download an update to Bad Company 2, though, so they've certainly done something (there was no update needed when Map Pack 2 became available). I'm just not sure what that something is. [Update, pt 2] Okay, it's up and running now. I had three Dr. Pepper codes laying around (I love Dr. Pepper) so I got the SPECACT kits for the Assault, Engineer, and Medic classes. You know how each class has an open spot on the Weapons and Specializations page? That's now replaced by an orange version of the SPECACT gun (M16A2 SA, UMP SA, MG3 SA, M95 SA). Each SA gun is exactly like its standard counter-part, except it has camouflage...you know, something you can do with every gun in Call of Duty. What's annoying is that there are now 8 classes to choose from on the kit selection screen in-game. Each kit has a + version (i.e., Assault+, Engineer+, ...) that sits below the normal version. I'm pretty sure they could have thought of an easier way to do that. Anyway, there are 12 new awards/medals, 3 for each class. They're get 8 kills in a game with [SA gun], get a 5 kill streak with [SA gun], and get 100 kills with [SA gun]. The 'cheevos for each download aren't available yet, but I'm sure they're unlocked for going gold with each SA gun. Honestly, the DLC kinda sucks, but I drink Dr. Pepper all the time anyway and I love 'cheevos, so it's worth it to me. I'm definitely disappointed, though.

As for the balance patch, it's PC-only right now. Things like this have to clear standards with Microsoft and Sony before you can put them on a console. They don't give a timetable, but hopefully it will come soon. I read through every single detail of the patch and every single one of them seems like a welcome change. The only ones that didn't make sense to me were the nerfs to the 40mm shotgun. I wasn't aware that it was overpowered. I always thought it was a POS. I also thought it was strange that the grenade launcher and Carl Gustav received blast radius nerfs. They were already way less effective than their Call of Duty counter-parts. It seems people really don't enjoy being a'sploded. Some balance fixes I'm particularly eager about:
  • The M1911 got slowed down. Definitely a fan of that
  • The Grach, my favorite pistol, got increased range efficiency.
  • The tracer dart's speed is significantly increased. I never understood how using a tracer dart was supposed to be easier than using an RPG.
  • The power tool overheats faster, but does the same of repairing between overheats. I love repairing shit.
  • Decreased explosive damage from Attack choppers. Combine that with the increased dart speed and now that effing Hind on Isla Inocentes won't be such a rape.
  • Made the AA gun more effective against infantry. That makes the Bakcha AA less useless
  • Nerfed the M60
  • Increased reload time on mortar strikes. I loved using them, but I knew they were overpowered.
  • Recon gets 3 motion mines. Hell. Yes.
So, hopefully this patch will make it's way to my 'Box soon. I'd love to see less of the M60. I would have liked to see something that keeps people from over-using the C4/UAV combo, but if DICE doesn't feel it's a problem then I guess it's not a problem. Any team that cares about playing defense won't let it happen.

--Chilly P

No comments:

Post a Comment