Monday, August 9, 2010

I Get Wet without Even Trying

I think maybe all of my posts should be titled with esoteric song lyrics. Anyway, I think it's about time I talk in length on Hydro Thunder Hurricane. This game is a hell of a lot of fun. Also, unlike the Summer of Arcade's first title this year, it is unmistakably a video game. It's been a long time since I've loved a racing game this much, and I think it may go into my all-time favorites list with Mario Kart: Double Dash!! and Burnout: Revenge. As you may have gathered, it's a sequel of sorts to the original arcade game, which was also one of my favorites. It's very arcade-y in feel (I've written that word in three different contexts now) and no other racing game is so distinctly split into two types of steering.

With a water racer, you have to deal with the elements. The most prominent of these elements is waves, and waves make you go airborne. They aren't the only thing, though, so does going off ramps, launching off waterfalls, and even jumping your boat. Handling in the air is something that I've found is key to my success in the game, and Rad Hazard is the king of aerial control. While it has the worst handling in the water (it's more a hovercraft than a boat), a skilled user can strategically use boost to steer it almost as well as any other boat. What's nice is that it controls with almost same amount of ability in both the water and while airborne, so you never feel out of control with it like you do other boats.

Well, I'm not too humble to admit that I've gotten damn good at the game, and it's gotten to the point where I have difficulty finding a challenge online. The matchmaking system is very bare bones (you create or search for a match) and it can be difficult to get into a good lobby. Other than that, I fully recommend the game. The tracks are all beautifully choreographed and every single one of them could have easily been the standout in a less memorable set. Just know this: getting 200/200 Achievement points is going to be damn near impossible. The Expert Ringmaster events are brutal, and going gold in the event that does all eight of them consecutively is a task I'm sure few men have accomplished.

--Chilly P

No comments:

Post a Comment